The West Midlands Police Choir, now known as Vivat !
We comprise Police and non-Police members, so anybody who may be interested in joining us does not have to be a Police employee – All are welcome -
CLICK HERE FOR VIVAT WEB SITE To See Details of Concerts etc.
In 1924 with his now public financial disgrace the Hall was sold to a local industrialist. Francis J Gibbons of the Wolverhampton lockmaking and ornamental ironwork firm. He had been living at The Beeches, in what had been the late seventeenth/early eighteenth century Upper Penn farm. As Francis moved to Penn Hall the Penn hospital moved from St. Catherine's Crescent to the Beeches. Older residents remember Francis as a kindly man and he stayed at the Hall until his death in 1948. After the war accommodation of any sort was at a premium and many of Wolverhampton's larger houses found alternative roles e.g., Muchall Grove as accommodation for the town planners, Claremont as an old people's home.
So it was to be that Penn Hall was bought by the expanding borough police service. It was used as a residential and training hostel for the next 25 years.
In 1974 and with the creation of a West Midlands Police Authority, the Hall was again sold